Escape & Travel's Fan Box

Escape & Travel on Facebook

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Morning Madness-Venting!








I am so aggravated and need to vent. Today was the first day for pre-k school registration at my son's school, and unfortunately in our school district there are only 40 seats available. With that said, I was advised to "come early", and I did! Registration started at 8:30am and I arrived (FIRST) at 7:00am. I must admit, I felt a little foolish arriving and no one else was there, so I phoned my husband and asked him should I go to Wal-Mart and pick up a few things? Acting on his advice of "NO! You don’t know how to just pick up a few things at Wal-Mart. By the time you come back the line will be down the street." I stayed, and glad I did, as about 10 minutes later people began to arrive.

I spent the next 45 minutes chatting with a few of the other parents there, at this time we were not in a line, just sitting near the front door of the school, on some benches. Quickly more and more people began coming and soon after, one of the school employees came outside and handed us tickets numbered 1-40. She made it very clear that the number you received did NOT indicate your place in line, just that you were 1 of the 40 families that were in line first. She then, stated that the total time getting registered could be any where from 1-2 hours depending on where in line you were. Therefore, at that moment, I decided it would be BEST to form a line, which at that time I did, I stopped the conversation with the other parents who seemed to be content sitting on the bench and I found my place, standing, as first in line.

After about 30 minutes, people started coming from all directions began mingling near the front of the door. Now, I being the adult that I am stood parallel to the door, which would have positioned the parents I was chatting with earlier directly behind me in line. (Even though they were still sitting on the benches). Why did the people that had just arrived not only disregard those that were sitting behind me, but they actually took their place in FRONT of the door, totally disregarding me standing to the side of the door?!!!!??? I was slightly annoyed but in keeping my cool, I looked at them smiled.

So, now the school clerk comes back out, this time with forms that need to be filled out, so you can imagine, now just about everyone randomly migrates up to the door to retrieve the form. Here is where I get frustrated, this brotha (there is only 2 of "us" there) who just arrived on the scene in the last 10 minutes. Comes to the front of the line brushes right in front of me, and "pretends to be using the Front door as his surface to write on. LMAO. I was like okay, no problem he is going to go to the back of the line when he finishes the form right?

OH Hell no, my brotha finishes the form and keeps his crusty ass right in front of me, pushing his kids so close to the door, their noses dayum near touch door. I was burning with anger, real bad and not even for me, but for all the other people that were there hours before him. And I know I shouldn’t have, but I was embarrassed of him, I couldn’t help thinking the others were like, look at the black people ditching in line. It pissted me off so bad that he would be so ignorant. I wanted so bad to say something to him, but a little voice inside of me, was saying " He knows what he is doing, and if he is that ignorant, he will probably cause a scene" And that is all the suburban news and people need to see and try to use to validate that blacks don't know how to act. I really don’t want to make it a racial thing, because it is true that of the 5 or so people that just "walked up" disregarding those that were there first, they were of the other races.

I'm so angry with myself, because I allowed this situation to really upset me. I expect adults to be more mature and considerate of others, and the worst part of it all is everyone (accept me) were there with their children! Do they not think their children are watching and learning from their behaviors???!!!!

As fate would have it, when the staff came to open the double doors, they opened the door opposite the one brotha man was standing in front of, which allowed me to take the pleasure of going around him and entering in first. LOL!

So tell me, is the world really that aggressive and I am just too soft? Or, am I just so naive to think that Adults will act Adult? Or, am I making more out of the situation then I should? How would this have affected you and what would you have done?

4 comments:

Sister-in-Locks said...

I am glad things worked out. I don't think you are naive but it is a dog eat dog world out there especially when it comes to folks and their children. Imagine this. It gets worse. What the parents are doing in league ball and the tricks they play to get into the colleges of their choices is no joke. I am not looking forward to it. There was and article of how the wealthy is starting their children in Kindergarden a year late because of their "development and lack of social skills". Yeah right it is because they want them to be stronger and bigger to give them an edge in the competition.

Anonymous said...

Girl I don't think you are naive to expect adults to behave fairly. I would have been beyond steamed myself and probably trying to talk myself away from the ledge of saying something ugly to him just like you were....impotent rage is the freaking worse!
However I am glad it worked out and you were able to go in front of "sir ignorance"!

KnottyAuthor said...

well, i find i when i act like a worm and get stepped on I'm madder than when I engage..so I try to engage now. good thing is karma worked out for ya!

SeZ said...

Girl that story was so funny that I LMAO and the fact that you wrote it in red print made it even better. Some people are just rude plain and simple. You would think because he had his children with him that he would behave better. I agree with Cheleski68 Karma is real and most likely bit him at another time.