Escape & Travel's Fan Box

Escape & Travel on Facebook

Friday, August 25, 2006

Yep, look at me shaking my freshly washed and deep conditioned hair.
Shake shake shake shake...shake your loc's, and then........

Out of nowhere....

OMG I lost a loc!

It took me about a milli-second to not cry, I had to remind, myself it was only hair! LOL...I swear this tops the most WRONG move I could have ever made. I was so obsessed with making my loc's softer, I ignored warnings not to condition my hair, and I paid DEARLY...not only did I loose a loc, my newly, one week old retightening came COMPLETELY unraveled, EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Please Please learn from my hard headedness and DON'T deep condition your locks, until you are FULLY loc'd. By the way, I haven't told my consultant yet, so keep it on the DL! LOL

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok D now tell me what kind of conditioner you used and how long did you leave it in for it to be considered "deep" conditioning?

I thought you were using the SL Moisture Treatment and loving it...what happened to that?

I have been conditioning my locs for the last month. I put the conditioner in my hair while showering put a cap on it and then rinse before get out...I would say the conditioner is on for approx 10 minutes or so. I don't consider that "deep" conditioning. I haven't had any problems with doing this. Of course my hair is not "sisterlocked" so that could be why.

I can't believe you lost a lock sis. No worries though it is just hair and no one will ever be able to tell you have a lock missing!

Goodnapps said...

oh Sweet Jesus! I am so sorry to hear of this happening to you Detra. But I doubt it was because of the deep conditioning per se. The lock was probably already very week and too thin at the root. My theory is the extra weight from the conditioner and extra rinsing caused the loc to give. I've been deep conditioning for months just to prevent this sort of thing from happening. But my hair is thicker, coarser and rewards me for doing so.

When you are ready to break the news to Gigi, have her inspect your locks for any other really weak or thin locs that might be on the verge of breaking off.

Goodnapps said...

And one more thing. I don't think it is a good idea for you to do away with conditioning all together. The fact that this happened probably means you should have been doing some sort of conditioning sooner. Since creme conditioners might be too much for your hair right now, try a liquid leave in. I also use Khoret Amen leave in by Carols Daughter. It doesn't prevent my ends from sealing. But I do dilute it with water too. I have to go full power to keep my hair from getting too dry. There are several other leave in varieties by Carols Daugher as well.

Tequila Jackson Allen said...

O my lord I know how you feel losing a lock I lost one two weeks ago I think you should chill out on the conditioner!

Dee said...

Tanya & Tra, you both might be right about the "why" the loc broke, to be exact about what happen, it broke while I was separating it from another loc. I assumed it was due to the conditioner because I have separated them before after a wash and they never broke. And I have noticed the newgrowth of my locs, have been very thin. Hmmmmm I will call Gigi.

Goodnapps said...

oh yes. Separating does seem to wreak havoc on the locs. If I have 2 that won't budge, I don't force them apart just yet. I may wait a few days or so or pull a little bit to loosen them daily before going full throttle to get them apart. See if this helps in the future as well.

Sister-in-Locks said...

Dont' fret. Just remember you can always sew them back on.

http://sister-in-locks.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_sister-in-locks_archive.html

Gigi can hook it up.

Cluizel said...

Oh my goodness...that hurts my heart. Something else to add to my memory bank so I won't fall on the floor and die if this happens to me.

Unknown said...

Don't worry...You are in good company. I don't remember if deep conditioner was involved, but I once yanked an SL out right at the scalp...right in the front. At first I was paralyzed with shock, then I plunged into denial. I carried that sorry little lock in my bathrobe pocket for weeks thinking I'd keep it and re-attach it later. Eventually I got over it. I wonder what happened to that poor little lock...

Chi-chi said...

Hey lady,

Sorry about your loss. I love your hair though. It looks soooo full.

Chi(

Dee said...

LOL Renea...nice to know someone feels my pain...and yep, I still got the loc, just waiting for my appt on Friday, hoping for good news that it can be reattached, but if not, I will put it to rest, in an old bathrobe....lol..

Dee said...

Thanks Chi,

your right, it is getting full, especially with all this new growth...lol..I've been lazy...going to see Gigi on Friday...yipee!

Maryee said...

I'll make sure I don't shake, shake shake!! Although for me it's too late. I've lost over a dozen locks. (she sighs)

Cee said...

I know it hard losing a lock, like you said it's only hair but to me it seems different with the locks over the perm.. When I was permed I would cut my hair and think nothing of it, now I just can't see cutting my hairs.