Escape & Travel's Fan Box

Escape & Travel on Facebook

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I AM LOSING LOCS


Hello All, I have found my way to Facebook, but as you see when it comes to my hair, back home is where I return. I am hoping someone can share some advise, suggestions or experience in relation to my issue, since my consultant has retired, I have taken on the full task of re-tightening my locs myself and I must say, I am terrible at it.

I go MONTHS in between tightenings, and I am finding when I do re-tighten many of my new growth are very thin and in some cases hanging by 2 strands of hair. I am a puller when I re-tighten, I am often pulling locs apart to prevent double heads and often times, that is when the breakage occurs.

I have lost approx. 25 locs since I've been locked, with about 5-10 of them being in the last year, and I do not know what to do. I am overly sensitive about allowing new people in my hair but I am at a point where I think I might need a professional to step in assess, your thoughts, referrals, suggestions?

Also, any chance of having the locs re-attached, yes I have kept them all...LOL

4 comments:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Hey Detra you are not alone, I have also lost locks over the past year or so. The first cause was after I had my 2nd baby, for some reason during the pregnancy my hair grew like weeds, but after I had her I started losing my edges. They have since grew back, however I am pregnant again and got really sick and went months (too ashamed to say how many) without getting my hair retightened. I think that also plays a factor in losing locks, I don't think anyone should go more than 8 weeks. Also pulling your hair isn't helping. I'm curious to see what others post because I'm interested in seeing what might prevent this, because I fear losing some hair again after this pregnancy.

Dee said...

Congrats on the baby, and the one up and coming! I too had a mad crazy growth with my pregnancy, and noticed the weak locs afterwards, hmmm...I am going to the dr. to rule out any health issues then continue to share what others had to say. And I BET I can top you how long I went without re-tightening...LOL

Goodnapps said...

Hey D!!

So sorry to hear about the lock situation. Hopefully going back to the basics will help. Professional tlc, good conditioning, healthy eating, exercise and lots of water.

I know all about the hair loss from pregnancy. I had to do so much combining til it just wasn't funny. For some the combining couldn't come soon enough. I've got a bald patch on each side of my front hair lines. They are just now starting to recuperate but still have a long way to go.

Keep your spirits up and I hope everything else is going well.

BlaqKofi said...

Detra, this is a delayed response, but....Like Butta and Good have said, going too long between retites should be your first corrective procedure. I agree that you should not go more the 8 weeks, preferrably 6 weeks between retites. Stop pulling your hair. SL are thin to begin with so it takes very little tension on already strained locks (from lack of retites) to cause breakage. There is a wonderful sister by the name of Nina Cebrun, 817-615-7091, kncebrun@gmail.com, in the mid-cities. She's certified and just a beautiful spirit - inside and out. She also has a wonderful full head of Sisterlocks. If you're looking for someone, I'd highly recommend her. If not on a continual basis, perhaps periodically until your locks begin regaining their strength. Love, Blaq.