
A love affair with my hair!
The way I've been feeling about my hair lately, has been so personal and therapeutic.
Let me talk for a minute.....you see, I grew up in the era where, if you didn't have light skin, long hair or hazel eyes, the boys weren't attracted to you, and I didn't possess any of those features, nevertheless, I must have been the exception to that "unspoken rule", because throughout all my school days, I received constant attention from ALL the boys. But, sadly enough, I never thought the attention was due to me being pretty, but moreso due to the fact that I developed early and had a shit brick house of a body...LOL...yep you know the song "She's a Brick House" that was me! Dayum, can I get those days back? LOL..

Ok...but seriously, my lack of feeling attractive was my dirty little secret, because I grew up being Ms. Popular and the girl everyone wanted to be friends with and the girl everyone thought was cute, but I never felt pretty when I was in company of those girls that fit the
"unspoken rule" mold.
Well, I "thought" I was long over those self esteem issues. I have for a long time now, felt confident and attractive, even in these days of being over weight.
But it hasn't been until this moment of my Sisterlock journey, that I TRULY feel and can say aloud that I am so freakin Beautiful in MY natural state of hair! I wake up in the mornings sometimes, hair all over my head and I look in the mirror and say..."Dayum I'm beautiful!" LOL...

I wanted to thank Dr. Cornwell, but I have to thank GOD for making me so beautiful and for giving Dr. Cornwell the gift of teaching us how to display our beauty in its natural state!
9 comments:
I 'm feeling you I too was not the prettiest girl in school but my body was well developed at a early age so that was what boys back then was after I am still learning to love my self in my natural state !
Go head then girlfriend. I am loving your half up do and your curls.
I can definitely feel your enthsiasm across the internet about your hair!
Tra
Big Ups Detra for having the courage to share such personal feelings. You still are beautiful and your locks are growing like crazy!
Thanks for sharing such personal feelings. I can relate too, because I was not cute growing up, and even if I were, I was mostly around white people and treated as the "other."
You are positively beautiful and radiant in that last photo!
Detra, gon' with your bad self. I don't have to tell you this... but I'll say it anyway....you are hot, hot, hot in your locks, locks, locks!
LaChanda
be liberated through love, sista!
blessings!
Girl this last picture should have been submitted to me for the collage. What's up?? Holla!
It's interesting you posted about how you felt about your looks because when I met you I thought to myself..she's very pretty. Your dimples are cute.
Your hair is growing so fast. It's looking good. Another home run for Gigi
awww shucks Karen, you got me blushing...thank you sista and you display beauty just as well!
Post a Comment