Escape & Travel's Fan Box

Escape & Travel on Facebook

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I DID IT

Woo Hoo, check me out yall! I put aside my fears, put the hubby and my son to bed, got a comfy spot on the couch, pop in a video and got my RETIGHTENING ON! I did one whole side of my head in about 3hours. I can't believe how long it took, just to have completed only one side, but I was VERY VERY proud of the end results of my parts being PERFECT and no married loc's. I did learn however, I might wanna find a better method to the direction in which I retightened as, I look lopsided with one side done and the other not...LOL...I just found it easier to just keep going straight back, so I will work on going left to right instead front to back.

the top pic is after retightening , the bottom is before retightening
Another piece of woo hoo information! My doctor's nurse, commented that she liked my hair and then asked......"IS IT ALL YOURS" woo dayum hoo...YEZ MA"AM every lil, ity bitty loc ALL MY NATURAL DAYUM HAIR! Come on home to Sisterlock's my sistah and you too can drop the weave and get with the natural length! LOL...ok, I'm being silly now, but I was grinning from ear to ear on that one!

Check out the comparison pics, which side is retighted? which side is not? How did I do? Truth be told, I like my hair better when it needs to be retightened, it looks fuller and appears to have more body, so is there any harm in retightening, when I feel the need? Instead of every 4-6 weeks?

the pic on the top, is the side of my hair, that has been retightened.
I prefer the fullness of my hair in the bottom pic, which has not been retightened
Also, LaChanda, Leighann, somebody with the nappylocks tool get at me and show me how to use the thing! I've had it for over 3 weeks now and still don't know how to use it. I am slowly amputating my finger with the SL hook tool! HELP me PLEASE!

11 comments:

Goodnapps said...

Congrats on Detra on your retightening milestone. I'm with you in regards to the fuller look before retights. I like my hair that way too. In regards to waiting longer to retight, of course that will mean more new growth and longer sessions for retightening if you don't have a problem with that.

brunsli said...

Whoo hoo! Good for you!

You make me feel guilty...

Anonymous said...

"woo dayum hoo"....Why did I crack up when I read that...I love the energy of that little statement (LMAO).

Girl you go ahead with your bad self retightening that hair. It sounds like you may be using the clip tool if you are killing your fingers...correct me if I am wrong.

As for the Nappyloc tool...I use it and have been now for about three months. I am getting better and better. Anyhoo here are some quick instructions. We can get together soon if you like and I will show how to use it. LaChanda helped me out at the last DFW gathering.

1. thread your loc through the eye of the tool (the fat part/hole).

2. Once threaded pull the loc into the cinch (the smaller opening).

3. Point the tail in the direction of your pattern (if north go upward)through the new growth and pull it through (just like you do with the clip tool). Complete your rotation and move to the next lock.

HTH,

Tra

Anonymous said...

Congrats on retighting your own hair...gotta love those mildstones... oh and thanks for all the lovely comments you left in my blog...

tanya

Maryee said...

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!111

Avra Tucker said...

Hi :)

Your hair looks nice and thanks for the comments. And although I am in Michigan I will always be a Buckeye!! :)

Avra

Jena Evans said...

Well do yo' thang... Your hair is getting looonnnnnggggg...

Blessings~

BlaqKofi said...

Detra gurl, u got me cracki' up! But your experience sounds EXACTLY like mine! I married locks, lost one, frustrated and panicked I went back to GiGi. I also ordered the Nappy Locks tool and can't figure out how to use it, although both LaChanda and Leighann have told me how...Oh well...Gigi here I come! But I'm proud of you girlfriend. Great job.

Funlayo said...

Congratulations! I think I am going to have to take the plunge and learn how to maintain my SLs at some point.... maybe in the distant future. I'm just afraid that i'll be too lazy, or that my arms will hurt. Let me stop beforeI start whining :)

Chi-chi said...

Congrats on you retightening! You go girl! Now that you've gotten through this it will get easier with time. Your hair has grown so much! Its great to see your progress.

BlaqKofi said...

Catchin up on some reading girl...I'm proud of you. You're my shero!