Escape & Travel's Fan Box

Escape & Travel on Facebook

Saturday, December 24, 2005

My hubby




Well, since everyone has "showcased" their husbands, I felt the need to share mines with you all...yes I know he looks young, but...NO he is NOT a minor! He is of a very legal age, its just that GOOD BLACK don't crack! He is of Caribbean decent by way of Guyana! Surprisingly to me, he has always been against dredlocks. In his country, or should I say in his family,dredlocks=Rasta=vegan,weedsmokers.

So, although he met me as a natural, he has always made comments about "when I was going to get a perm". It has never ever seriously affected me, as I was natural years before I met him, and so comfortable being natural, his comments were more of a joke to me, then a threat to our relationship. However, when I made up my mind to get my Sisterlocks, he was not supportive at all, he was very negative about how they would look on me etc....but as you all see, that too, didn't move me, as I am a very STRONG minded black women, and I make my own decisions in areas of my life that I feel are of no one else's concern but mines, and my HAIR happens to be one of those areas!

Now, I come to defend him by way of someone else's comment that, just as we have to be patient with our locks forming, we should be equally as patient with our love ones, whom for one reason or another have been raised or developed through their personal experiences negativity towards natural or locked hair. Now, that I am in the locking process, he has been asking me a lot of questions about, my process, what happens next? some of them are unraveling..what are you going to do? When will they lock completely? So although, he doesn't shower me with compliments (yet)his inquiries are enough for me to know that he is "trying" to accept my decision to lock. If he completely comes around that will be GREAT, if he doesn't, then that is one aspect of my life making decisions that he will miss out on. And for me, that is okay, because he is married to me, not my hair. And to my hubby, thanks for letting me put you on front street. I love you!

6 comments:

Creyole said...

Detra,
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Yes, it is very nice of your hubby to allow you to put him out there. This post will allow for a great testimony one day. lol!

If I were a betting woman, I'd bet he would be getting himself some brother locks one day soon.

Anonymous said...

Girl you have really made a post that goes right to the heart of my own situation. I MUST make another edit to my post about some lessons I have learned just in a short time since I wrote my infamous "Makes Me Wanna Holla" post (lol).

Whomever made comment about patience with our loved ones and our locs spoke a real truth for me.

Your dh is a cutie and he will most likely be loving your locs before you know it.

Tra

Jena Evans said...

Aaaaaahhh... You done robbed the craddle, girl... lol

Blessings to you two for the new year!

Natural Kinks said...

That's just those beautiful black genes girl!
You hubby is adorable,
he'll come right along soon.

brunsli said...

Legal to what?? Drive?

Just teasing!

I'm sure he will come around to loving your hair soon.

Dee said...

LOL Brunsli...you aint right...too funny...he is legal to drive and he drives it well....LOL..although he is younger then me...you would be surprised how old he is....he is actually older then you my luv....told ya..good black dont crack....